It’s time for another round of – old and new – pet peeves, my friends. Sometimes it’s good to release them into the blogosphere because it’s like venting (and it’s good to release some steam and commiserate) and I know that there are other people out there who must feel the same. Tell me I am not the only one.
I love the word ‘pet peeve’, by the way. The German language is usually pretty creative when it comes to making up single words that describe one thing perfectly (e.g. Schadenfreude), but I have yet to find a good, one-word translation for ‘pet peeve’. Suggestions, anyone?
1. I am so, so over the social media’s algorithms that are trying to tell me that they know what I want to see in my feed. I am looking at you Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Let me tell you what I want to see: my feed in chronological order (or at least the option to choose to see it in chronological order), so that a string of images/updates actually makes sense and isn’t delivered all jumbled up (or days late!) and so that I can keep track of what I’ve already looked at. I am so confused now about the things I have seen (multiple times) and things I might have missed. This is seriously so annoying.
2. I know, I must sound like a broken record, because I probably have mentioned this particular pet peeve on this blog so many times, but I literally experience this every single day. People who think that traffic rules and basic driving functions are not for them.
It makes driving so incredibly frustrating and not to mention dangerous! People don’t use their blinker, or if they use it, they blink right and then take a left turn. Oh and don’t get me started on people who, now that the darker season is approaching, don’t turn on their headlights at night and drive around completely “invisible” to others. Yeah, that person that is honking and flashing their lights at you… that would be me. This stuff just drives me batsh*t crazy. At the end of a long workday, my patience for this crap is very, very low. Come on, people, it’s really not that hard!
3. This is a runner’s pet peeve and unfortunately, I encounter this often on my Sunday park runs: People walk three-abreast taking up the whole walking path or they stand there with their dogs chatting with someone and they see you coming and they just won’t move to let you squeeze by them. I don’t understand. What happened to common decency and kindness to the people around you?
As a runner, you know that every step away from your running path costs extra energy and caution and making me step onto the grassy area or into the gutter is not only rude but potentially dangerous.
4. People who ask me for some help with something, I agree to help and make time to do so, and then they never get back to me about it. What’s up with that? I mean, it’s fine, it saves me some ‘extra work’, but why ask me in the first place?
5. I get so annoyed when I find a product that I really, really like and then it gets discontinued. Argh. I mean, I don’t know if I should feel special for having such an exclusive taste or if I should feel just mad. Probably the latter. On that note, did Trader Joe’s discontinue Speculoos?? I didn’t see it on my last grocery trip and I NEED IT THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.
Your turn. Share one of your pet peeves with me.