I am (trying to be) a minimalist when it comes to bringing stuff along on my runs. I don’t really like carrying anything in my hands (although I do bring my hand-held bottle of water for longer runs sometimes), but some other things are non-negotiable for safety and convenience. I came up with a list of ten items that I always take along. That seems like a lot, but you’ll see, many of them are rather “small”.
Here are my top 10 items:
1. I carry most of the items in this Amphipod running belt*. I am kinda hoping to replace this one sometime… the belt is pretty worn out, but it has served me well for the last three years.
2. I rarely run without my Garmin*. I know, sometimes it’s nice to not be a slave to our watches, but I just love recording my exercises. I am a numbers nerd.
3. I feel like a little motivational arm bling always helps, so I usually take along one of my Mudlove* bracelets,
4. … and one of my Momentum Jewelry* Motivational wraps…
5. … and my Road ID*. That one is more for safety than for motivation. It has my name, phone number and emergency contact information on it and it’s always a good idea to wear that.
6. I also carry my ID and a visa card for emergencies. You never know if you get stranded somewhere or if you need to stop and buy some water or snacks (or a post-run coffee treat).
7. I always need tissues somewhere along the way, so a pack of tissues is a must.
8. My house key is always one of the items that I obviously have to carry.
9. Well, and then I bring my iPhone for safety and for listening to music/podcasts on my run. I always tell someone where I am planning to run, but I also sometimes use eCrumb Tracking via the Road ID app*. It basically alerts your person of choice when you stop for 5 minutes or more, and it gives them updates via text about your progress.
10. Last but not least, wireless headphones are a given. But I always just use one ear bud, so I can still hear what’s going on around me! Stay alert, guys!
What items do you take along on a run? Any items that I am missing?
* #notanad, This is not a sponsored post. I have not been compensated by the brand or anyone else for linking the websites.