As mentioned last week, I kicked off this week with the Team Wilpers Summer Run Challenge. I hadn’t done any type of structured training in a while and was excited to start working on my speed a little bit. Unless I follow a training plan, I tend to ‘neglect’ speed work and just do my runs at a “feel good” pace (some days that’s faster, some days that’s slower), but as you all know, if nothing changes, nothing changes. It was time to challenge myself a little bit.
I also completed week 3 of the Power Zone Pack Zone Wars “Race to Beat the Evil Purge” Mini Challenge and there were some spicy Power Zone Rides this week with zones 4+5 intervals. I was lucky to have Tanja join me for most of these rides because it’s always good to know there’s someone sweating with you on the other side of the screen.
I also started the Peloton Pump Up The Volume 1 (PUTV1) Collection, a strength series that systematically increases reps, load, and volume over four weeks with three classes per week focusing on lower, upper, and full body workouts. I am pretty self-motivated when it comes to working out but I always love following a plan and this program makes sure I get some regular strength sessions in. (Note to self: I might have to get a couple more sets of different dumbbells.)
- Team Wilpers Summer Run Challenge – W1R1
- 5 Min Pre-Run Warm Up – Jess S (5/29/23)
- 10 Min Warm Up Run – Matt (12/15/22)
- 20 Min Distance Test – Matt (1/9/23) –Instructor Bingo
- 5 Min Cool Down Run – Matt (5/23/23)
- 10 Min Morning Yoga Flow – Chelsea (6/15/22) — Personal Streak
- 20 Min Lower Body Strength – Rebecca (9/19/22) — PUTV1 – W1D1/Instructor Bingo
I kicked off this week with a 20 min distance test – the runner’s equivalent of the FTP test for cycling to determine threshold pace – for the Team Wilpers Summer Run Challenge. As always, tests can be anxiety-inducing, but they’re necessary to get a baseline and then, you can only go up from there. Amirite? I felt good and was pretty happy with my performance this morning. I ran 2.5 miles in 20 minutes (which is an 8 min/mi pace). Below are my calculated training paces. Let’s see what we can do from here. (I also counted this as my run for Global Running Day, which was Wednesday!)
- 10 Min Andrew Lloyd Webber Warm Up Ride – CDE (7/20/22)
- 30 Min Power Zone Ride – Matt (9/18/19) — Zone Wars W3C1
- 5 Min Cool Down Ride – Bradley (5/23/23)
- 20 Min Morning Yoga Flow – Mariana (3/3/22) — Personal Streak/Instructor Bingo
- 10 Min Core Strength – Emma ( 7/19/22) — Instructor Color Hunt
A spicy Power Zone Ride in the morning and a great yoga flow. If you want an energized morning flow to wake you up, I recommend this flow with Mariana.
- 5 Min Pride Celebration Meditation – Cody (6/14/21) — Instructor Color Hunt/Rainbow Reach
- 20 Min Morning Yoga Flow – Kristin (9/5/21) — Personal Streak/Instructor Bingo
- LIVE: 10 Min Barre: Glutes – Ally Love (6/7/2023) — 500th Peloton Strength Class!
- 20 Min Upper Body Strength – Rebecca (9/19/22) — PUTV1 – W1D2
- 5 Min Upper Body Stretch – Jess S – (11/4/20) — Rainbow Reach
- 10 Min Just Ride: Outdoors
- 10 Min Just Ride: Outdoors
I celebrated my 500th Strength Class with Ally’s LIVE Barre Class and some Streakers365 friends this morning! Woot! I also completed the second strength class of the Pump Up The Volume 1 collection. Unfortunately, it was my office day and I didn’t have the time to fit in a run, but Global Running Day was on my mind all week! Did you celebrate?
- Team Wilpers Summer Run Challenge – W1R2
- 15 Min Lunge Matrix Stretch
- 15 Min Warm Up/90’s Rock Run – Jon (6/5/23) — Instructor Bingo
- 10 Min VO2Max Run/Extra 10: HIIT – Adrian 4/17/23 — Color Hunt/Instructor Bingo
- 5 Min Cool Down – Jeffrey — Instructor Bingo
- 10 Min Warm Up Ride – Sam (5/23/23)
- 30 Min Power Zone Ride – Matt (9/15/19) — Zone Wars W3C2
- 5 Min Post-Ride Stretch – Sam (5/19/23)
- 10 Min Yoga Flow – Kristin (3/28/21) — Personal Streak
The second run of the TW Run Challenge was a VO2 Max Run with intervals at VO2 Max pace. This is definitely faster than I usually run (duh!) and it was fun to push for short periods of time.
I was, however, a slave to my beeping Garmin watch. It was constantly telling me I was too fast or too slow. It’s so hard to hit (and hold) certain paces when you run outdoors and I wish I had a treadmill for this type of interval work. Hopefully, with time, I will learn what these paces are supposed to “feel” like when I run outdoors. I then followed the run with a power zone endurance ride. This wasn’t ideal planning on my part, but I had no other choice this week if I wanted to get it done.
- 5 Min Warm Up Ride – Bradley (8/13/21)
- 45 Min Power Zone Endurance Ride – Denis (10/17/19) — Zone Wars W3C3
- 20 Min Full Body Strength – Rebecca (9/19/22) — PUTV1 – W1D3
- 10 Yoga Flow – Kirra (1/17/23) — Personal Streak/Instructor Bingo
- 30 Min 80s Walk – Jon (10/5/22) — Color Hunt
- 30 Min Country Walk – Jeffrey (1/19/23) — Instructor Bingo
I completed a power zone endurance ride in the morning and then joined some Streaker365 for the third PUTV1 full body strength class.
- Team Wilpers Summer Run Challenge – W1R3
- 10 min Warm up Run – Joslyn (7/15/22)
- 30 min Endurance/Y2K Rock Fun Run – Andy (8/15/19) — Color Hunt
- 5 min Cool Down Run – Matt (3/31/23)
- 20 Min Power Walk – Jess K (8/12/22) — Instructor Bingo
- 14 Mn Just Walk: Outdoor
- 5 Min Post-Run Stretch – Matt (5/10/23)
- 20 Min Focus Flow: For Runners – Denis (&Matt) (6/7/23) — Personal Streak
Oh, did I forget to mention that this week was also the SUMMIIT Stride Event? Oops. As you can tell, I had a lot of things going on this week (but in my defense, I try to sign up for things that overlap with each other to maximize credit for my workouts). I had an endurance run on the calendar for Saturday and used these miles (4.5 mi) and a cool down walk (2.5 mi) to contribute miles to my Streakters365 Stride team!
- 10 Min Warm Up Ride – Ben (3/25/22)
- 45 min Power Zone Ride – Matt (10/17/19) — Zone Wars W3AR
- 5 Min Post-Ride Stretch – Jenn (5/23/23)
- 15 Min Focus Flow: Floor Poses – Ross (2/1/23) — Rainbow Reach
- 10 Min Cool Down Ride – Mila (6/1/23)
- 5 Min Cool Down Ride – Kendall (5/17/22)
Tanja was crazy enough to join me for another – 45 min! – Power Zone Ride this weekend and let’s just be honest here and admit that I probably would have given up if it hadn’t been for her being on the other side of the screen. The first interval block was okay, but the second was a real struggle. Don’t let my smiling face fool you!
Current Challenges + Trackers:
Streaker365 June Instructor Color Hunt – 5 classes
Streaker365 June Rainbow Reach (Recovery) – Week 1 complete!
Streaker365 Eat the Rainbow Bingo (Nutrition Challenge) 2 Bingos
Streaker365 June Personal Streak (10+ min yoga/day) – 7 classes
Peloton Pump Up The Volume 1 Strength Program (4 weeks) – Week 1 complete!
Pelotrak Instructor Bingo (weekly) – 2 Bingos
This week’s stats:
Running: 12 mi
Walking: 4.5 mi
Cycling: 43.5 mi
Strength: 80 min
Yoga: 105 min
Warm up + Stretching: 130 min
Meditation: 5 min
How was your week? Did you participate in any fun challenges/races or have you started a new program?
Color Hunt = Streakers365 Instructor Color Hunt Challenge
Rainbow Reach = Streakers365 Recovery Tracker
PUTV1 = Pump Up The Volume 1 (Peloton Strength Collection)
Zone Wars = Power Zone Pack Mini Challenge “Zone Wars: Race to Beat the Evil Purge” (4 weeks)
W1C1 = Week 1, Class 1
W1AR1 = Week 1 Accelerator Class