A new year, a new blank slate… and tons of opportunities to set up goals and resolutions. Or not.
I didn’t really set a lot of ‘set in stone’ goals for myself in 2016 (and I surely did not post them on the blog for you all to judge me by, ha!), but I did have a few – let’s call them – guidelines. Some of them I set up at the beginning of the year, some came about during the year (or were something I’ve had in the back of my mind for a while).
Run more miles than in 2015. Completed. I ran 424 miles (682 km) in 2015 and my goal was to run more in 2016. When I passed that goal in September, I set myself another goal for the end of the year: 1000k (622 miles).
Run a half marathon. Completed. And it was awesome.
Read 12 books. Completed. I actually read 13. Amazing, isn’t it? Haha. I know my reading goals are humble these days, but hey, I am keeping at it. It counts for something.
Go back to yoga. Nope. I don’t know why I keep talking about it, if I don’t follow through, but here we are. I didn’t go to yoga this year (or maybe once or twice? I don’t even remember.) I really want to get back into a routine where yoga is part of the workout mix, but with the few time slots my gym is offering, I haven’t figured out a good plan. Maybe in 2017.
Write more snail mail. Kinda. I am really good about the Christmas card thing (as some of you may know) and I have sent a few letters this year, but otherwise it’s been a bit of a struggle. It’s not that I don’t want to, it’s that I don’t find the time to sit down and write a longer letter in a single sitting… and I hate going back to it again and again to finish. Then it feels like I want to start all over again. I often opt for longer emails (and blogging, obviously).
I am kinda going to start 2017 in the same fashion and I am linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0 Linkup to share goals, resolutions, or other things I am looking forward to in the new year!
1. Fill a jar with notes of happiness. This is something I’ve seen floating around the Interwebs last year already, but this year, I want to actually do it. Get an empty mason jar and jot down one good, happy thing every week. Actually both J and I will do that, and then we’ll read 104 happy messages next New Year’s Eve.
2. Run 1000 miles. I ran 1000km last year, now let’s raise the bar a little bit. 1600 km should be doable, am I right?
3. Cross train. This goes hand-in-hand with my running goal. I know, I need to do more cross-training and I will try (really hard) to incorporate this into my workout routine.
4. Read 25 books. I really wanted to up the ante and set a higher goal for this year, but I also don’t want to set myself up for failure. So I am keeping my goal at 2 books/month (which will be a challenge for me already, but I am committing to it). I can always surpass my goal, if I want to. So far, I am on track – haha.
5. Invest some time in my Etsy shop. Am I setting myself up for failure here already with all these lofty goals that all require (extra) time that I didn’t seem to have in 2016? I don’t know, but since the Etsy shop is just a hobby and I don’t rely on income from it, I am hoping that purposefully not putting pressure on myself and the mere “fun factor” of the whole thing will keep me creative and emotionally invested (does reverse psychology even work?). I know that I’ll go through phases when it comes to creativity and time to work on new things and that’s okay.
Let’s see how 2017 shapes up and what other ambitions I can come up with during the year.
What are some of your goals?