I don’t know about you, but I am a huge fan of big bowls of veggies over rice. I feel like I am putting something really healthy and nourishing into my body and it’s also delicious. This is why I have to share this easy, super-yummy recipe with you.
We’ve been making this a lot lately, because it’s easy to prepare and quick to cook (even on a busy weeknight). Dinner’s ready within 20 minutes.
- 3 large zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms
- 1 yellow or red onion
- 1 bell pepper (I prefer red or yellow)
- 20 grape tomatoes
- 2 cups of cooked rice (we use long grain)
- Your can also use other veggies you have on hand… we've previously added broccoli and cauliflower.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Cut all the veggies in cubes and place in a plastic bag or container.
- Pour over the marinade and massage the back (or shake the container with lid!) to coat all the veggies with the marinade.
- Put in the fridge over night (or for a few hours, if you want to make this the same day. I usually prepare the veggies the day before, so I only have to cook the rice and broil the veggies when I come home from work.).
- Cook two cups of rice. Stir in some chopped parsley before serving.
- Preheat the broiler on high. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the marinated vegetables out in a single layer.
- Broil the vegetables on the middle rack for about 10 minutes, or until they achieve a light char on the edges.
I am linking up with Rachel for Meatless Monday today.