In an attempt to move to more natural skincare products, I’ve tried a few things and thought I’d share some (mostly, but not all drugstore) products that I really like right now.
1. Physician’s Formula Organic Wear® 100 % Natural Origin Fakeout™ Mascara I bought this because I had a coupon and since I had tried other Organic Wear products before and I am pretty happy with this. It’s not my holy grail of mascara, but I like it well enough and it’s has a good safety rating by the Environmental Working Group organization. (EWG’s Skin Deep rating: 1)
2. Primal Pit Paste – Ok, this natural deodorant has been a true life changer (at least for me). I’ve been using it for about 9 months now and I love it. I’ve tried the “unscented” and the “ thyme lemongrass” options and while I like the lemon-y scent of the latter, I think I’d next time go with the unscented one again, because it truly never made me smelly.
I had no problem with the fact that you apply this with your fingers, since it comes in a little pot. I think there are also sticks available, but I haven’t personally tried them out and I don’t mind the pot. (EWG’s Skin Deep rating: 0)
3. Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser I’ve been using this cleanser for a few months now and what I like about it is that it doesn’t dry out my face, while doing a really good job getting rid of makeup and dirt at the end of the day. Plus, it has a pleasant smell. (EWG’s Skin Deep rating: 3)
4. Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo for Oily Hair I’ve talked about this shampoo in one of my monthly favorites posts a few months ago and I still feel the same way about it. It smells lovely (like anything lemon-y) and tackles the oily roots of my fine hair without drying out the rest of my hair. (EWG’s Skin Deep rating: 3)
5. Burt’s Bees lip shimmer I might have mentioned this one before as well. I am not big into lip colors and balms, but this one treats chapped lips and applies a bit of color at the same time. You can’t go wrong with that. (EWG’s Skin Deep rating: 2)
6. Andalou Naturals Hyaluronic DMAE Lift & Firm Cream I came across this natural skin care line while shopping at our local Co-op and since they had a sale going on at the time, I thought I’d give this brand a try… and I am so glad that I did. The Andalou Naturals products are all vegan and free of GMO’s, Petrochemicals, Phthalates, Sulfates, and other harmful ingredients. This moisturizer feels a bit like ‘whipped cream’, it’s very light and applies well and is absorbed quickly. It doesn’t leave you with a sticky feeling, but just soft, smooth skin. (EWG’s Skin Deep rating: 2)
7. Physician’s Formula Organic Wear CC Cream – I am a big fan of BB or CC creams. I don’t like to slather thick make-up on my skin on a regular basis, but BB/CC creams provide SPF, medium coverage and still feel pretty light. This one is from the organic wear line from Physician’s formula and I think it’s pretty good for the price-point. It’s a little thicker than I would like it to be, but once it’s applied, it feels pretty light and covers well. (Couldn’t find this specific item, but most Physician’s Formula Organic Wear items have a EWG’s Skin Deep rating between 1-3).