1. Beer. You don’t have to remind me that I am German, that I am from the land of beer!, and that you’re totally flabbergasted that I don’t drink any. It’s just disgusting to me. I remember having my one and only beer on my 16th birthday. It took me the whole night to finish it. People kept telling me that I should keep drinking it and I’d like it eventually, but I honestly don’t see the point in forcing something down my throat so that I will eventually like it. Maybe like it.
2. Brad Pitt. Seriously. Does anybody really think that he’s a good actor? Plu-hease. He’s only on the big screen because women are swooning over him, and even that I don’t get. I never understood why Jennifer Aniston had a fancy for him.
3. After-work parties. I really have never felt it necessary to go and hang out at a bar right after work. Isn’t that when you have actually worked 8+ hours and just want to go home and lie on the couch? Maybe cook some dinner? I guess, I am too much of a homebody to appreciate the invention of after work parties.
4. Money. I would completely, happily live without money if that was at all possible. Is it nice to have more money than you need? Yes. Will it make you happy? No. There are so many more important things in life than money. Unfortunately, everybody needs to have it and I just hate how it can turn some people into complete snobs.
5. Summer. While I do appreciate a nice dose of sunshine, I really love the winter, too. I love the candles, copious amounts of hot, steaming tea, rain storms and snow! I think the seasons were invented for a reason, so we can enjoy each of them for its very own idiosyncrasies.
6. Twilight. Oh, no, I know I am going to be bashed for this, but I just don’t get the hype. Don’t. get. it.
7. Hollywood. I lived next to Hollywood. Hollywood was my backyard for a while and while it seems cool and fancy-schmancy and “out of the world” to some people, it’s actually pretty ordinary. It’s just another neighborhood, really.
8. Work. Especially in this country. As important as it is to have a job, a) to earn and income and b) to have something meaningful/useful to do, a job shouldn’t DEFINE who you are. I don’t know about you, but as much as I love my job, I don’t live to work, but work to live.
9. College. Woah. Another bold statement, I am aware. But many of you would probably agree that most of the things that you learned in College are for the most part not essential to the job that you’re holding right now. It’s more a period of figuring out “living on your own”, taking responsibilities and navigating Campus life. Sure, my degree has helped me with my current career, but it hasn’t really taught me anything that I am actually doing on a daily basis. I learned those skills on the job.
10. Cinnabon Rolls. Don’t get me wrong, I am ALL FOR sweets. I have a sweet tooth myself, but Cinnabon rolls? Seriously. Just the smell alone makes me gag. I don’t know if I could ever eat one of those completely by myself. It’s just too much. Too much dough, too much cinnamon, too much sugar frosting. And with a whooping 730 calories, it’s about half of my daily calorie intake.
What are 10 things that YOU find overrated?