When I thought about the things I purchased in 2021 that bring me joy, I instantly came up with like 5 things (and then a couple more to make it ten.) I am not a frivolous shopper by any means. When I buy something, I (usually) have put a substantial amount of thought into what I want to buy and why. So the list of best purchases is rather short but packs some punches (looking at you, Peloton and iPhone).
1. I did it. After contemplating both the investment and the question of whether I could still pull off a pair, I finally invested in a new pair of Dr. Martens*. I used to have a pair, 25 years ago *gasp* that I loved fiercely and that I had worn until they fell apart.
At some point, I had mentioned to Tanja that I had been thinking about purchasing another pair of Dr. Martens. As she very well knows, I don’t make purchase decisions lightly. This was no exception. If I am honest, I had been to Dr. Martens stores and had tried on boots quite a few times over the last few years (without ever buying them). How’s that for really taking a long time to make up your mind?
So, when I was down in Southern California and met up with Tanja, she mentioned that there was a Dr. Martens store at the mall and suggested that we could go and at least have a look. I mean, sure, we can take a look!
Well, I did not count on the emotional persuasiveness of my own mind (and the encouraging and complimenting remarks by my friend and the young saleswoman). When she noticed how pleased I was with the shoes, she asked with a knowing smile, if this was my first pair of Dr. Martens. I don’t think I had laughed so much in a while. I explained to her that in fact, these were going to be my second pair and, oh, why didn’t she just ring them up for me.
I don’t think I have to mention how much I love them, right?
2. These Hearth & Hand with Magnolia Bowls* were a total impulse purchase, which is rare. But I guess you can’t sweat a $5/bowl purchase when you smile every time you eat your oats or soup out of one. Haha.
3. I finally bought a few house plants this year (like the fiddle fig) and I’ve been enjoying a bit of a greener space. Unfortunately, our apartment is pretty dark and I have to be mindful about which plants will have a chance to thrive, not just barely survive here, but so far they’ve been faring pretty well.
4. If you feel the cold (during the colder months) like me, then Hottotties’ velvet-lined leggings* are for you. I’ve been wearing them like it’s my job ever since we entered the cooler season.
5. I bought three 25 lb bags of organic rye flour* in 2021, as I have continued to bake my own sourdough bread every week throughout the year.
6. In the spring, we upgraded to the new iPhone*. We’re usually people that use their phones until they really start to go down in performance. We hadn’t had an upgrade since the iPhone 7 and it definitely felt like a splurge.
7. Early in 2021, coffee filters for our Chemex coffee maker, of all things!, were in scarce supply. I could not figure out why but was lucky and very pleased when I got my hands on a Coffee Sock*. Not quite as convenient, but definitely more environmentally friendly, and best of all: they don’t need repurchasing so often.
8. This was an Instagram ad that I fell for and I am so glad I did: Pro Hair Ties*. You can adjust the circumference (depending on hair thickness) and they have an “easy release clasp” so you are not ripping out hair when you pull them out.
9. One of the best nutrition items I’ve started purchasing this year was Flaxseed Meal. I knew that it is good for you, I had previously purchased raw flax seeds, but didn’t know how to use them (other than in occasional baked goods). Turns out, raw flax seeds are hard to digest and besides, flaxseed meal is MUCH easier to just throw into all kinds of dishes without you even knowing it’s there. I add it to my sourdough bread, mix it into my oats, and throw it into smoothies and other meals as well.
10. I am sure you know I have shouted this from the rooftops because the best purchase of 2021 was the Peloton* bike. It brings me joy on a daily basis and as I said to a friend, if I have to be addicted to one thing, I am okay with it being a piece of exercise equipment that keeps me healthy, motivated, and connected with like-minded people.
What was one of your best purchases last year?
* #notanad, This is not a sponsored post. I have not been compensated by the brand or anyone else for linking the websites.