It’s time for some recent demerits and gold stars. It’s been a few months since I checked in with myself. (As always, credit for this great post idea goes to my friend Elisabeth).
- Not following through with my decluttering projects. Sigh. I always “plan” to start tackling things on the weekend and then the weekend disappears with a “poof” and I haven’t decluttered anything. I know it’s all about getting started. I guess this will be something I’ll tackle in the new year (again).
- Not being further along in preparing for the holidays. I know, after November comes December and the holidays technically CAN’T sneak up on you, but they did. I blame “mental denial”. My brain still can’t compute that we’re already in December.
- Spending too much money on take-out. Look, I know that it’s totally in my control to fix this. And you should know that I cook six out of 7 nights per week. So it’s not even that we eat out that often (once a week usually), but eating out has gotten so freaking expensive. I’d be happy to skip a week here and there, but Jon likes eating out at least once a week (and I almost can’t argue with the fact that cooking is just as expensive as eating out.)
- Not drinking enough water. I’ve been really good for a long while but I noticed that I have been slacking a bit with my water consumption lately. Usually I aim for at least 6 glasses (12 oz) of water every day, but the last few weeks it’s been more like 4-5 glasses. I blame it on the cooler weather. And while I have been adding some more mugs of tea to my day, I need to make sure I am substituting at least 1:1, if I am not drinking enough water. Do you have trouble drinking water during the cooler months?
- Not keeping up my 3x/week running schedule. Ugh, this often happens to me during the darker/colder months. I opt to stay inside more and don’t get out to run as much as I’d like.
- Picking up my knitting again. It’s one of my favorite ways to wind down during the longer evenings and I’ve been quite good making it a more regular habit again in recent weeks. I know it’s a calming activity for me (when the fake TV fireplace is on in the background) and Jon says he gets second-hand calm through it. Win-win! I think my winter project will be a sweater. Eek! (I haven’t really knit any clothing before. Wish me luck.)
- Handing off a project task at work. Remember when I shared about the inconsistencies I had discovered in data files that I was working on for a colleague, and how I couldn’t just let that go? Well, I was able to eliminate all unnecessary error sources on my end (there’s still a problem with one of the original files, but I couldn’t fix that because other people have been working with this file already and there would have been even more “ripple effects” if I had messed with that file) and was able to hand of my results and analysis to my colleague. Phew.
- Getting our holiday cards ordered (they arrived today!) At least I got that done in time. KINDA. Now I can tackle the rest of my work-in-progress holiday to-do list.
- Keeping up with Power Zone cycling and strength training. On the flip side of my demerit of not keeping up with running as much, I’ve been pretty happy with my power zone and strength training. I’m keeping up with my power zone challenges and I’ve been doing a larger variety of strength classes and bootcamps. I guess this is what you call the “off-season” for running, where you concentrate on other things more. (Just quick, someone tell my brain that this is okay!).
- Getting my annual check-up and last dentist appointment for this year out of the way. My PCP was very happy with me being on top of my shots (got Covid booster and flu shots in October), my maintenance check-ups (all done for this year!), and my most recent bloodwork. She commented that I am taking great care of my health. Well, if that isn’t something we’d all like to hear when another year comes to and end than I don’t know what is.
How have things been going for you? Share a recent demerit and gold star with me!