I am doing NaBloPoMo this month. 30 blog posts in 30 days. Come join me. #nablopomo2022
I am shamelessly stealing this post idea from my friend Elisabeth (but with proper credit!). A few months ago, she introduced this new blog format of sharing recent demerits and gold stars based on a segment of Gretchen Rubin + Elizabeth Craft’s podcast Happier (which I have NOT listened to – just for the record – but maybe I should?).
I love the idea of taking stock of things that I could work on and things I should give myself credit for — so I am jumping on the bandwagon today and sharing my recent demerits and gold stars with you.
- Staying up too late. I have a bedtime of 10 pm that I aim for every night, but the truth is that “lights out” has been closer to 11 pm (or even 11:30 pm) many nights because I wanted to read another chapter or because I was dallying away time on my phone.
- Not working on the vacation photo book sooner. The plan was to create a photo book from our epic summer vacation and have it printed by Christmas, and now Christmas is four weeks away and I haven’t even started working on it (although I have thought about starting many times). I usually do work a little bit better under pressure, but I really shouldn’t have waited so long because as everyone knows who has put together a photo book, it takes an insane amount of time to sort through the gazillion photos and pick out the best ones!
- Dallying on my phone. Not proud to admit that I am spending way too much time mindlessly “scrolling” on my phone. I mean, it’s not “unpleasant” while I am doing it, but an hour goes by and then I feel terrible for wasting a whole hour on my phone – if that makes sense? I think I need some sort of intervention.
- Not keeping the clutter at bay. I’ve been really frustrated with the clutter that seems to build up on every single “open” surface in our home and I am trying to figure out if it’s just a lack of organization on my part, or if it’s simply that there is not enough space to put things. I am constantly moving stuff around to make room to do something else.
- Sticking to my yoga routine this month. My Streakers365 group on Facebook comes out with these monthly “Streak Challenges”. You pick one habit that you focus on for the month and as I have mentioned before, for November I pledged to do yoga every day (from at least 10-minute up to 45-minute sessions). I only missed one day (at the beginning of the month) and only because I did other workouts and simply “forgot” to add 10 minutes of yoga to my workout stack.
- Checking a few things off my work to-do list. Sometimes I tend to ignore non-urgent little things on my work to-do list because other things seem to be more pressing, but I had a bit of downtime the other day and decided to tackle this list of “little things” and I felt so productive that day!
- Cooking more vegetarian meals. Jon and I have cut back on our meat consumption in the last few months (not that we’ve eaten a ton of meat, to begin with) and I’ve really enjoyed trying new vegetarian recipes.
- Starting my holiday to-do list. I know, better late than never. I think I pushed the holidays out of my mind on purpose, but now that Thanksgiving (in the US) is over, there is really no denying that the holidays are upon us and that I need to get organized. Once, I have a list that I can tackle, the whole thing is only “half as scary” and I actually have fun preparing for the holidays. They just – for whatever reason – seem to be sneaking up on me every year.
- All of you. For sticking with me through NaBloPoMo. I can’t tell you how incredibly thrilled and proud I am that you not only decided to join me but that you’re actually “crushing” this year’s NaBloPoMo. You’ve all been so consistent in putting out posts and also visiting and commenting on other people’s blogs! It’s not lost on me that this took time and commitment and you all just deserve gold stars for that!
Share a recent gold star with me!