I am doing NaBloPoMo this month. 30 blog posts in 30 days. Come join me. #nablopomo2021
I always start NaBloPoMo off by sharing some random things about me; as an introduction for any new readers (come say hi!), and to share something you might not have known for anyone who’s been around for a while longer. I have shared random facts in previous years, if you want to find out more (here, here, here, here, and here). This time, I am borrowing this list of questions from Birchie’s blog.
1. Physical stuff?
5 feet 7 inches, brown hair, brown eyes, one auricle piercing, zero tattoos.
2. Do you have any pets?
Sadly no. I live vicariously through all of you who have pets. I love both dogs and cats, but always wanted a cat. Maybe one day in the future.
3. Do you have any kids?
No. That wasn’t in the cards for us.
4. Do you have any siblings?
Yes, I am a twin. I have a fraternal twin sister.
5. Where did you grow up?
As you might already know, I grew up in Germany. I’ve been in the US for the better part of 20 years though.
6. What activities did you do in high school?
The better question is what activities didn’t I do in high school. I played tennis, softball, and badminton, I was in a jazz dance group, sang in the student choir, and I also took piano and Italian lessons, and probably at least tried out any other extracurriculars that were offered.
7. What did you study in college?
I studied Geography, English, and Physical Education and finished with a Master’s degree (with teaching credentials for middle and high school).
8. What was your first job out of college?
I did not finish the “second (in-school) part” of the teacher training in Germany but landed a science internship here in the US. While I had a few jobs in college (postal carrier, receptionist, babysitter, tutor), I stuck with my career choice in science and I have been at the same job ever since. I know, I am an anomaly.
9. What kind of music do you like?
I am – and will forever be – a 90’s grunge girl at heart.
10. What’s your longest relationship so far?
My first relationship lasted 10 years, my second 20 years (and counting). I don’t have a very capricious personality.
11. Are you left- or right-handed?
Right-handed, but I have some ambidextrous tendencies.
12. What are your hobbies?
You probably already know that I love blogging, running and cycling (and any other form of exercise), reading, cooking, and knitting/crocheting (and all other kinds of crafts, although I haven’t been in a very creative mood lately).
13. Windows or Mac/Android or iPhone? Mac/iPhone.
14. Do you have any irrational fears?
I am afraid of heights, spiders, snakes, and losing family members and/or friends. None of these are irrational in my opinion.
15. Have you ever traveled outside the country? If so, where?
Since I didn’t grow up here, yes, I’ve traveled outside of the US, mostly all around Europe.
16. Where have you run other than your home state?
I’ve run in my hometown in Germany. All other runs and races were here in California. I need to branch out, clearly.
17. When’s your next vacation and where are you going? I hope to go visit my family back home soon. No reservations made yet though.
18. Do you speak any other languages? German (naturally)! Besides English, I also took French and Spanish in school, and I took some lessons in Italian, but I am not conversational by any means.
19. What’s one talent that you wish you had?
I enjoyed theater as a kid, but I am afraid my personality wouldn’t have been suitable for the “performing arts”.
20. If you weren’t in your current job, what would you want to be doing?
While I really love my work in the sciences, I think I could have been happy in many other fields. I think I would have loved pursuing any sports-related jobs, writing + editorial jobs, and maybe teaching (as I originally set out to do, although high school would have been tough, I think).
Your Turn: answer as many of these questions as you want. Better yet, do your own 20 questions post on your blog and leave the link here.