This is a warm and filling dinner that I threw together taking hints from a couple of different recipes. You can’t really do anything wrong here. Just use what you have to come up with your own version of this tasty burrito bowl.
I guess some key ingredients would be rice and beans and some typical Mexican chili flavors (like chili powder and cumin). Other than that, use your imagination (and the ingredients in your fridge and pantry).
You can totally make this vegetarian, but we added a bit of ground turkey that we had left over (not pictured).
I made the dish in my Dutch oven (because it’s nice and big and it’s easy to stir a lot of different ingredients), but you can also use a big skillet. Either way, I love that you can just throw all of the ingredients into one big pot and keep the clean-up afterward to a minimum.
Like I said, you can pretty much throw in what you have at hand. I have used different colored bell peppers, kidney beans or pinto beans, regular potatoes, just rice, etc. in different versions of this dish. To keep things light, we also omitted any kind of cheeses and opted for plain yogurt instead of sour cream (honestly, you won’t taste the difference!).
If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen brown rice (I use the one from Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 small can mild chilies
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice optional
- 2 tbsps plain yogurt
- Optional: chopped cilantro, plain yogurt
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces into cubes.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine two tablespoons olive oil and brown the ground turkey. Take out the meat and set aside.
- Add the sweet potatoes and onions and sautée for 8-10 minutes or until pretty tender.
- Add in the undrained diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed black beans, corn, chopped bell pepper, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and vegetable or chicken broth.
- Give everything a really good stir, then bring to a boil.
- Add in the frozen brown rice, reduce heat and cover the pot with a lid and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice and plain yogurt for a bit of creaminess.
- Serve immediately and top with an extra dollop of plain yogurt and cilantro.