To be quite honest, I am not prepared for cold weather running. Like, at all. Cold weather here in California is still well above 32°F and so snow is not a concern and even my layering is pretty minimal. The only thing I’d have to be concerned about is rain, and I guess I should invest in a rain-running jacket at some point, come to think of it (so far has not been that point), but I don’t really need gloves, hats, or anything like that.
Are you jealous yet? (In my defense, we do have to cope with some really hot summer temperatures in return.)
So, my list of cold weather running essentials might look different from yours, but here goes:
1. I don’t really need any lined or extra-warm running pants, regular long running tights* will do during the winter months.
2. I do like my Buff neck warmer* (which can also double as a headband or face mask, if it’s really cold and windy).
3. I always need tissues when it’s cold outside (just me?). I do get a runny nose – pun intended! – when it’s cooler running weather, so I can’t leave the house without them.
4. One of the things that instantly happens for me when it’s cold is chapped lips, so I usually carry lip balm* wherever I go.
5. I usually can get away with a regular shirt and adding a long sleeve shirt on top, but when it does get down to the 30’s or 40’s, I often opt to wear my Fleece Jacket* as well.
6. I use Sunscreen* all year round, because even if it’s cloudy, it’s important to protect your skin. It also acts as a layer of protection against the cold.
7. During the winter month, I’ll wear long sleeve shirts like this one* (preferably with thumb holes! Are you a fan of thumb holes, too?)
Most of my winter morning runs will be so early (before work) when it’s still dark outside that I will opt for the gym, where I don’t have to worry about winter apparel at all.
Do you opt to run indoors when it gets really cold outside?
* #notanad, This is not a sponsored post. I have not been compensated by the brand or anyone else for linking the products/websites.